Monday, September 29, 2014

Anatomy of a playdate



I've worked in the healthcare field for almost 10 years, so I know how gross kids can be. And I knew one day this day would eventually have to come.  I'm already borderline antisocial, but I figured this would be good for the baby, so why not?  Let me just tell you, these things are something else.
 
OMG. Nothing in the world can prepare you for the madness that is a playdate. I've now been on 3. And although my first one with my friend my high school & her son was good, the other two seriously had me contemplating if I would ever have Fallon around younger kids.
 
I set one up & pack nearly everything in my house Fallon could possibly need.
 
Scene 1: I am meeting with an old co-worker who has a son who is almost 3. I ring the doorbell, already nervous about the whole thing, when I hear her son SCREAMING inside & her yelling. Wow, this is starting off great already! She opens the door, and both have this forced smile on their faces.
 
She neglected to tell me her son has had a cold, "but it getting over it". WTF?! So glad I scheduled this. Her son comes running up to me, snot dripping down his nose & into his mouth, attempting to snatch Fallon out of my arms.
 
Disgusting. Fallon pushes him away, and he proceeds to wipe the snot off his nose onto his hands and place them all over my pants. I can't help but stare at the shiny, new crusty stain on my jeans. I look down at his hands, and there is dirt caked inside his fingers. INSIDE! How is that even physically possible???
 
Gross. Fallon eventually warms up to him & they began playing on the floor with all his action toys. My friend gets down on the ground with them. Fallon looks up at her & smiles, & she gives my baby a kiss! To make matters worse, her son sneezes snot everywhere & she wipes it with her hand then places Fallon's pacifier back into her mouth.
 
At this point, I am silently freaking out on the inside & telling myself to hide my facial expressions. I keep thinking about every possible bacteria & virus that have spread rapidly all over my baby & her things.
 
I am just so glad my baby is in tune with me. The minute I don't think I can stand any more grossness, Fallon starts rubbing her eyes & fussing. Its naptime & we out!



Scene 2: A friend & her 13 month daughter. House is beautiful, baby is adorable, & they are closer in age. Perfect, right? WRONG!

This little girl is a terd! And by terd, I'm being nice. She tried to nearly destroy every one of Fallon's things, including her outfit & bow.  Everytime she came around Fallon, she had this angry look & would rip whatever toy Fallon had in her hands out. I didn't know 13 month olds could possibly be that angry about life.

So glad my husband randomly called...we out!


These things get better with time, or so I've been told. Until then, we busy.



No comments:

Post a Comment